CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 21, 2013

The "GH" is Silent



The English language is stupid. There I said it... I admit it. Although I deem myself a connoisseur of grammar. Okay, it is not so stupid, but it certainly is frustrating. Especially when you are trying to teach your children proper English. But wouldn't that be the Queen's English? Proper "American" English then. But that changes at the drop of a hat... or a catch phrase. With all of the irregularities in the English language, which are far too many to count or even be bothered with, it does not shock me that our children would rather speak in slang or "txt tlk" instead of taking the time to learn about predicates and subjects, verbs, nouns, pronouns, proper nouns.... ARGH! I just want to throw my hands up.

There is so much confusion in the English language that... 

Did you know you can spell FISH like this? G H O T I

Seriously. Okay here I'll prove it to you:

What sound does the GH in "Laugh" make? F

What sound does the O in "Women" make? I

What sound does the TI in "Motion" or "Vacation" make? SH

There you have it... I have to go feed my ghoti in their ghoti tank now. Of course, this was a joke. The word "ghoti" is not even a real word. But it showed the inconsistency of English spelling.

Oh by the way, GHOTI can also be a silent word.

Look it up for yourself and get back to me : ) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment